Re: entry level information

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Sunday 03 June 2007 17:24:38 Bill Thompson wrote:
I am interested in using Fedora 7. I am a computer USER. I do not have time
to learn programming but I am willing to learn Fedora speak if I had access
to an entry level guide to the terminology.

 I tried to use Fedora 6 it installed easily but I quickly became
frustrated with my inability to understand the language and concepts for
finding and adding applications.

My interest in Fedora are the reputation for stability, and it is the
anti-microsoft, i.e. open sourced, non monopolistic, based on the concept
of community. I just need an immigrants guide, a settlement agency and some
Q&As in non-Fedoraese.

I think there is a large group of PC users who want off the Microsoft bus
especially after hearing of the problems with Vista.

Any help out there for those of us seeking refugee status?

Hi, Bill. First, just a personal opinion. I wouldn't advise anyone absolutely new to linux to install a version that has only been out a few days. Wait a couple of weeks, for things to settle down. More experienced users will have found the problems and the work-arounds for them, while bugs are being fixed.

OK - that said, the main thing that a truly new user needs is a support system. You'll find that any distribution you choose will have at least one mailing list. A list like this one tends to have a huge amount of traffic for the first week or two after a new release. If you can live with that, stay with it and read all you can. You'll not understand too much at first, but you'll gradually absorb quite a lot.
I just about choked last night; I work 2nd shift hours and had to go in early Saturday for ot. By the time I was able to check email last night (approx 24hr time period), I had like 420 emails from the list.

You're bound to have lots of questions, and you can start as soon as you like asking them. Someone will have the answer. Don't be put off if you don't understand an answer - just ask for clarification.

One last thing - if you can find a Linux User Group near you, join it. There's usually a good mix of conversation and beer :-) They can be immensely helpful.

Anne