Re: F7 Non-DVD install confusion ??

On 6/2/07, William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi;

I have been following the discussions on this list regarding how to
install F7 without a DVD.  I plan to do my own install over the next few
days.  After reading the Release Notes and the Installation Guide I
thought I had a strategy worked out.  Now you guys scare me.

I have two hard drives. One is hda on which I keep my WindowsXP system.
On that drive I have a 10GB ext3 partition on which I have the old FC6
CD.iso.images I downloaded when FC6 was new.  I will delete those FC6
images.  My second drive, hdb, is where I have currently installed FC6

I do not have a DVD.  I don't have any use for a DVD except for, perhaps
some time in the future, burning F7 DVD images.

I had planned to do the following:

    1. Download the DVD.iso.image to my ext3 partition on hda.
    2. Download the rescue.iso to my ext3 partition on hda.
    3. Burn the rescue.iso to a CD using my still existing FC6's
       cdrecord/nautilus/whatever.
    4. Boot with the rescue CD to install; then use the askmethod to
       direct anaconda to find the iso.images on hda and do a clean
       install on hdb.

Seemed simple.  But, I have had the experience a couple of versions ago
of completely blowing an install; screwing up my MBR; being left with no
Linux of any kind; and trying to get everything repaired through
WindowsXP.  That was fun.

So, after reading all the complex solutions for installing being
suggested and discussed over the last day or two I am compelled to ask,
is there any reason why the above outlined strategy wouldn't work?

--
Regards Bill

It should work. Backup your MBR to a floppy disk or other accessible
media and image the partitions you want to preserve to CD/hard drive.