Re: Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

--- Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > There are several choices here:
> >
> > Use the Live CD images
> >
> > Use the boot.iso/rescue.iso and do a network
> installation from
> > http/ftp/nfs
> >
> > Use boot.iso/rescue.iso, put the DVD image in the
> hard disk in one
> > partition and install it another partition.
>
> There are several choices, I agree.
> (I am using one of them.)
> But this does not alter the fact that
> the decision to drop the CD installation set
> was completely incomprehensible, to me at least.
>
> You might as well put up a banner reading,
> "Don't install Fedora if you are a home user.
> Try Ubuntu instead."
>
> Surely the aim should be to make it as easy as
> possible
> for as many people as possible to install Fedora.
> It is not meant to be an obstacle race.
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
> s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College,
> Dublin 2, Ireland
>
> --

Timothy,

   You hit the nail into the coffin.  As Ric also
pointed out people were complaining that they had too
many discs to download and make the comparison that
Ubuntu is just one CD.  Why make all the comparisons?
fsck Ubuntu, this is Fedora and Fedora is trying its
best to meet the needs of its users.  They have
created nice LiveCD's with GNOME/KDE and the DVD isos
for i386 and x64 architectures.  One thing that they
neglected was this fact that some users were going to
ask for the traditional F-7-i386-cd1, F-7-i386-cd2,
F-7-i386-cd3, F-7-i386-cd4, F-7-i386-cd5, ..., etc.
We all know that you cannot satisfy all of the people
all of the time, but someone that can make these isos,
make them so that all those users that need them can
get them.  This in the end makes Fedora truly better
than the others.

Not everyone can do NFS installs
Not everyone is on high speed internet
Not everyone has DVD drives/working DVD drives
Not everyone is pleased with the limited LiveCD
packages, and wants to further customize their
installations
Not everyone is pleased with the selection of software
in the DVD, missing some useful packages and size of
2.7/2.8GB where before had more software, and will
have to yum install them.
We also know that Fedora all >= 9GB and cannot fit
into 4.7GB DVD isos, but Fedora-6 was ok not too many
people complained (dvd* here not cd1, cd2, cd3, ..,
etc)

Regards,

Antonio

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's