Re: Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 13:36 -0400, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> I have a 500 Mhz Pentium machine that runs FC5 very well.  I installed
> it using the multi-CD set.
>
> I can NOT put a DVD drive on the machine, because the minimum speed
> for DVD drives is around 800 Mhz, based on all the drive boxes I
> looked at when I investigated the matter.

Just so you know, you can use a DVD on a system with a 500 MHz CPU, I do
it.  I manage burning error-free DVDs quite nicely on a 500 MHz Celeron
with around only 380 megs of RAM, on FC4.  The minimum PC specs you see
on DVD packaging generally is regards to what you'll need to run Windows
and the DVD burning software that they provide with the burner.  Linux
doesn't have the same overheads (inefficiencies) that Windows has.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.