Re: Weird problem with UID n F7

At 8:17 PM +0100 6/2/07, Mike Cohler wrote:
>I did a clean install of F7 expecting to be able to copy back user
>info to /etc/passwd, and related files, for users with files in a
>pre-existing partition.
>
>However I find there is a line already in /etc/passwd with
>tclhttpd:x:500:500:Tclhttpd:/var/www/tclhttpd:/bin/false
>
>For some years I have had user UIDs starting at 500 but this will
>conflict with the lines already in passwd, group etc....
>
>Does anyone else see this or am I unique with this issue?
>
>Also on firstboot there is a message complaining that thttpd has
>unknown user... I am puzzled.
>
>I was so puzzled I did a complete clean re-install and it was exactly
>the same - the install was using a HD install referencing the DVD iso
>on one of the partitions. The install seemed to work fine but the
>issues above arose immediately after install and before doing any
>configuring at all.
>
>The first time round I had not realised there was already a UID set up
>for 500 and this caused problems once I put additional lines back to
>give the user logins.
>
>Any suggestions?

I don't use tclhttpd or have it installed, but maybe you don't need it and
can remove the package and delete the user.  It seems strange that a
package would use a UID in the range for normal users; perhaps a bug should
be filed.  Or you might remove it, restore your users, and reinstall it.

If you know where your own user with UID 500 has its files, you can change
it to use a different UID.  I've done this by hand, as it were, and it
seemed fine.  I edited /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, and
/etc/gshadow, and then did a "chown -R newID:newGroup path" for
/home/thatuser.  If find had shown more files owned by that user, I'd have
needed to do more (with find).