Re: Fedora 7 install: DISK failure consideration

Title: Re: Fedora 7 install: DISK failure consideration
At 1:54 PM -0300 6/2/07, Sebastian Gurovich wrote:
I guess my questions are:
Can I make 1 LVM Group Volume over several physical partitions and later adjust Logical Volume capacities as needed? <and> Will this give me better chances to survive a potential hard drive catastrophe?
You can have only 4 primary partitions. One and only one of the four
primary partitions can be an extended partition.

OK thanks so Maybe then I need to
(1) NTFS
(2) Boot
(4) /, /tmp, Swap
with "/", "/tmp" and Swap being logical partitions in the extended partition BUT all logical partitions in (3) and (4) part of the same LVM Group Volume so I can adjust capacities of "/", "/home" "/tmp" and "Swap" individually. Would this work?

Yes, but it won't do it the way you are thinking.  All the partitions would be part of the Volume Group, and would be parcelled out as Logical Volumes with no regard to your scheme.  It is more flexible than using fixed-size Basic partitions, but it is less safe, as there are both Basic partitions and LVM structures.  Note, if you have allocated space to a Logical Volume and sized the filesystem on that volume to use all the space, in order to move space to another Logical Volume you would need to 1) shrink the filesystem, 2) shrink the Logical Volume it is on, 3) grow the desired Logical Volume, 4) grow the filesystem on the desired Logical Volume.
TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>