Re: Tired of making coasters

David G. Miller wrote:

Yes, it's a problem in this case. I would like to confirm that specific functionality works with the Fedora 64-bit kernel. As an example, my laptop has a Broadcom 4306 wireless NIC that currently only works with ndiswrapper when running with a 64-bit kernel. It seems like 64-bit is the poor step-child when it comes to things like wireless support, memory card readers, etc. Anything that doesn't work 64-bit but works under 32-bit tends to get a response of, "Just run 32-bit."

That likely to be the case for quite sometime. The user base in over 80% still on x86 possibly because some popular proprietary software hasn't moved over.

http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/stats

I doubt that any combination of Live or regular images would fit into all end user/system admin/developer requirements which is one of the reasons there is a focus on spinning your own.

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/31/remixing-fedora-7/

Rahul