FC6(working 'su -') vs Centos5(failing 'su -')

I've just started the process of virtualizing some of my servers into one machine. Right now I've been running Fedora releases for my home server, but keeping up with release cycles are too hard to do, especially when they usually coincide with me being in school. I successfully got Centos to run within Fedora using Xen, but now I'm having problems with logging in.

First, root access is allowed directly when I use virt-manager to access the xvc0 console. If I `su -' to my user (justin) and then `su -' again to root, I am prompted for the password, and once entered, I'm root again.

If I try the same technique when logging into the system as justin through ssh, I'm not allowed to `su -' to root. When I enter the password, I am returned with a "incorrect password" message. I know that the password being entered is correct. Following is the only logs I could find regarding my failed attempt to su to root (from /var/log/secure and /var/log/audit/audit.log)

   May 31 15:04:24 zeus su: pam_unix(su-l:auth): authentication
   failure; logname=justin uid=1000 euid=0 tty=pts/0 ruser=justin
   rhost=  user=root

   type=USER_AUTH msg=audit(1180641866.633:212): user pid=2570 uid=1000
   auid=1000 subj=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 msg='PAM:
   authentication acct=root : exe="/bin/su" (hostname=?, addr=?,
   terminal=pts/0 res=failed)'

I started digging through PAM to see if I could find anything there that would be blocking me. I've compared /etc/pam.d/{su,su-l,system-auth} on my Centos system to my Fedora 6 system and they match each other. I also tried adding pts/0 to /etc/securetty (though I didn't think it would help), and still I got nothing.

I've been thinking that I must be restricted in someway based on which terminal I'm logging into, but I can't find any restrictions. If you need any more information, I'll be happy to provide logs or configuration files (I just don't know what is needed).

Thanks
Justin W