Re: F7 - why so few mirrors?

Timothy Murphy schrieb:
I'm currently downloading Fedora-7 from the nearest mirror,
and I am told it will take 5 days ...

I've found some mirrors that sent me the DVD image within 3 hours. Try some other mirrors, even if they aren't located close to you.

I tried bittorrent, but this was forbidden
presumably by my ISP.

My recollection is that there were far more mirror sites for FC-6.
Is that wrong?

Incidentally, while it doesn't affect me since I don't burn the ISOs,
the decision not to offer CD ISOs seems bizarre to me.
What was the justification?

I've downloaded the iso image, and the rescuecd image. I burnt the rescuecd image and booted from it. You have the choice at boot, whether you want to rescue your system or whether you want to install an new sytem. I did the latter. During the installation routine, you can specify the partition and the directory on this partition, where the DVD image is located. From that point on, the installation proceeds as usually. the only thing, that must be given is a partition that will not be formated during the installation which contains the dvd image, of course! This installation method is both extremely fast, as data is read from the harddisk and not from a dvd and makes it possible to install without having a dvd burner!

greets Boris