Re: Using screenshots of emacs and bash in a book

"Paul F. Johnson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if there would be any conflict with either the GPL or the use
of screenshots of bash and emacs in a book I'm currently working on? If there
is, who would I need to approach to get permission from?

The book will be published by nostarch.

TTFN

Paul
First off, I am not a lawyer so this does not constitute legal advice.

The GPL *ONLY* pertains to distribution of software. In a nutshell, if you distribute a GPLed program, you must make the source code available. So, the GPL does not pertain to screen shots since you aren't distributing the program.

On the other hand, if your screen shot includes trademarked material (e.g., the Red Hat "shadow man" logo) or material otherwise covered by copyright (your screen shot explains how to rip a Hollyweird movie), you should make sure your use isn't considered infringement. Typically, something that gets included in a screen shot would be considered "fair use" but Google just had a huge legal fight over including thumbnails. Your best bet is to keep away from anything that might cause a problem.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce