Re: How can I get Evolution's Spam Filter to Work

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 16:43 -0700, Schlaegel wrote:
> n 5/29/07, Robert Locke <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Check under Edit-Preferences/Mail Preferences/Junk Tab/Check
> incoming
> > mail for junk.  If you want spamassassin to filter, that needs to be
> > checked.  Just be forewarned that it does slow down the "retrieval"
> of
> > mail....
>
> Slow I can handle, but I can't even get slow.
> "Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->Junk->Check incoming mail for
> junk" is checked, as is "include remote checks."
>
> Spamassassin is installed, via rpm dependency. This is a new install,
> so I don't understand why this seems to work for others but not for
> me.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to check a log to see if Spamassassin is
> actually getting run. In my experience running Spamassassin on
> servers, Spamassassin adds headers to emails it checks; I don't see
> any added headers to my emails.
>
> Shouldn't this be a simple install and run type of use case scenario?
>
> Thanks for the ideas so far.
You raise some good questions and I hope some one has better answers
than I have, but here are mine.
1. including remote checks, slows things down to intolerable.
2. Is spamassassin working? Well here are two test I did. a) I emptied
the junk folder and running evolution causes things to be put in the
folder that are spam. b) looked at the spam bayes databases in
~/.spamassassin and they get changed as evolution is run.
3. However, training of the spam filter seems not to be happening very
well. I keep getting the same crap passed through.
4. I have wondered why the typical spamassassin headers are not produced
in the mail and the fact that they are not makes me suspicious.

Does anyone have further answers to these questions?
--
Aaron Konstam tel: (210) 656-0355 akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx