Re: OT: Requesting C advice

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 11:03 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
I have to admit to confusing PASCAL and C.  I used both in the early years, along with Basic.  I was in the Navy and couldn't afford software.  I wrote my own from the language descriptions in the books.  This included editors, compilers, preprocessors (I used the same preprocessor with all my compilers), and debuggers.  I still have a collection of a small box of audio tapes in storage with my altair that contains much of that code.  It was easier to make it portable than to write another, especially since it was in assembly code for Z80 at the time.  I also wrote my own virtual machine for lisp because the Z80 I had kept overwriting the stack, which messed up the stack oriented lisp code.  Because I wrote so much of this stuff, and ported it to multiple machines, I simply confused it all.

    I should have checked the manuals before I responded.  I remember reading the arguments about size, but I no longer remember the details you mentioned, Rick.  I have to plead stupidity for not checking the manuals and old age for bad memory.  But a lot of this occurred more than 30 years ago, and a lot of code has passed through the old gray matter since, so please forgive my frailty, and excuse my stupidity, and Thank You for straightening me out.

Regards,
Les Howell