Re: still having problems contacting the apache server

I think I have narrowed this down to a port issue is there a way to actually change the port with in Apache. I tried the listen directive with no success.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: still having problems contacting the apache server

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 14:38 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
As far as I can see all the firewalls are off in Linux and I have
forwarded port 80 for apache but when I go to
http://pilotalk.dyndns.biz I get the following:
Problem loading page

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at pilotalk.dyndns.biz.
list of 3 items
• The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a
  few moments.
• If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
  connection.
• If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make
  sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

If you're testing on the same machine as runs the server, and that
domain name resolves to a public IP, you may not be able to connect.
You're asking an internal connection to go out on the wire and come back
again.  Whether that works depends on how your entire network works
(computer, modem/router, firewalling, etc.).  Likewise for testing from
another PC within your LAN.  My firewall blocks connection attempts that
try to connect to public IPs using a private IP address, it's the sort
of thing that a spoofing attack might do.

First, you'd test with a browser on the server, trying to browse to:
http://127.0.0.1/  If that doesn't work, you've got to work out whether
your server is running, your firewall isn't blocking things, or if you
have a proxy configured in your web browser which is trying to use an
outside proxy.  If that works, move onto another test:

Such as, browsing to the server from another PC within your LAN, using
the IP address of the server.  e.g. http://192.168.1.1/ (or whatever
your server's address actually is).  If that doesn't work, the same
issues outlined in the prior paragraph apply.  If it does work, then the
issues would seem to lay with your server's firewall, modem/router, or
your ISP (some block port 80).

You need to use something outside of your LAN to test the public
behaviour of your web server.  That could be a friend on another ISP, or
you can make use of one of the HTML validators on the web.  At this
stage, you'd be concerned about it managing to connect.  Later, you can
worry about any messages about any HTML authoring errors.

e.g. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpilotalk.dyndns.biz
is a link that will use the W3C HTML validator to check your website.
See <http://validator.w3.org/

In my test, just now, it came back with a 500 error:

--- begin paste ---

Sorry! This document can not be checked.
I got the following unexpected response when trying to retrieve
<http://pilotalk.dyndns.biz/>:

       500 Server closed connection without sending any data back

If you made recent changes to your domain name (DNS) configuration, you
may also want to check that your domain records are correct, or ask your
hosting company to do so.

--- end paste ---

That indicates a webserver configuration error (500 errors are server
errors).  That could be that you've got an error with your Apache
configuration.  One that doesn't stop the server from starting up, but
does stop it from serving files.  Or, it could be that your ISP has
something intercepting connections to your webserver, and it's returning
that.  Or that dyndns intercepts things, similarly.  Or that the
validator webserver had an error, at that time.  I get no response, so I
suspect the 500 error was the validator stuffing up when it didn't get a
response.  The WDG HTMl validator, available from
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ had similar sort of results,
but with less warnings about why.

--- begin paste ---

Error retrieving http://pilotalk.dyndns.biz/: Server closed connection
without sending any data back

--- end paste ---

Checks on your domain name seem to be okay.  In as much as that they
point to a real IP, but I don't know if it's your current IP.  The dig
tool shows your IP as currently being:  67.54.156.245

[tim@serge ~]$  dig +noall +answer pilotalk.dyndns.biz
pilotalk.dyndns.biz.    60      IN      A       67.54.156.245

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.