Re: avahi-daemon, it's on, is it needed?

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 15:00 -0700, Tim Alberts wrote:
> I see in FC6 that this avahi-daemen seems to always get installed and
> always wants to be run from the bootup scripts.
>
> It appears to be a network service discovery program.  Does Fedora 6
> use it, does fedora 6 need it, and if so, what services does it
> discover and what configuration does it need (if any)?

It's part of automatic IP set up, for when you don't have a DHCP server,
or don't use manually set addresses.  You can turn it off if you don't
need it, likewise for any other automatic network services.  Run the
serviceconf tool, and look through all the available services, and turn
off any you don't need.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.