Re: [Fedora] Re: bind lame servers

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"DGM" == David G Miller <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
DGM> The allow-query clause means that anyone outside of my network
DGM> get a query refused.

Of course, this is not terribly useful if you are actually serving
zones to the global DNS, but you can use "allow-recursion" in place of
"allow-query" in that case.  It's probably the best way to do things
unless you have another reason to set up multiple views.
Sorry. I thought the example was clear. The ruleset I posted only applies to queries for my internal network (zone local.davenjudy.org). Queries for my external addresses hit another ruleset that allows queries but not updates:

zone "davenjudy.org" IN {
       type master;
       file "davenjudy.org";
       allow-query {
               any;
       };
};

That is, you can define independent rules for each zone in named.conf. Since the rulesets can use ACLs that allow a subnet mask, maintenance is pretty trivial. Obviously, I don't want "allow-recursion" for this ruleset but could see where it might come in handy if I had a large enough network.
Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce