Re: [Fedora] Re: bind lame servers

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"AMK" == Ashley M Kirchner <ashley@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
AMK> Yes, it's called Asia.  Several dozen IPs were querying my DNS
AMK> non-stop.

You should not allow recursive queries from outside of your network.

I do this by having an internal view with a "match-clients" set to my
internal network, and then later a default view with
  match-clients { any; };
  recursion no;
although I suspect this is not the simplest way to accomplish this
because it necessitates duplicating all of the zone declarations that
are visible in both views.

 - J<
I've been pretty happy with the following approach:

[root@fraud ~]# cat /etc/named.conf
acl "trusted" {
       localhost;
       192.168.0.0/16;
       72.19.169.230;
};
zone "local.davenjudy.org" IN {
       type master;
       file "local.davenjudy.org";
       allow-query {
               trusted;
       };
       allow-update {
               trusted;
       };
};

The allow-query clause means that anyone outside of my network get a query refused. The weird thing is that logwatch says I get a couple of queries for internal boxes every day. If someone is persistent, they get a firewall rule in their honor.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce