Re: Link file not opening on webserver

Paul Ward wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to link a file from from my home directory to
/var/www/html so it can be a acccessed remotley.

I used the following to link the file which worked fine.

# ln -s myfile /var/www/html/
# ls -l /var/www/html
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 May 13.19 myfile.html -> /home/user/myfile.html

When going to my webserver http://myfile.html does not open up I get a
permisson problem how do I get round this?

The user that apache web server runs as (usually 'apache') should have permissions to read /home/user/myfile.html. Just giving read access, ie. chmod 644 myfile.html won't work in this case. You will have to give execute permission to /home/user as it as home folders usually have permissions set as 700. It would be easier if you placed myfile.html somewhere outside /home and then set the appropriate permissions.

--
Regards
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218