Re: OT: Requesting C advice

George Arseneault wrote:
Hey All:

Decided to get back into programing to get my mind out
of the rut its in.  Got an old text book from a friend
(C: step by step, printed 1990!) and did man gcc to
find out about the compiler. Then, did info gcc to
find something I could understand. Overall, it was
easier then I thought it would be. I didn't have to
use any of the options on gcc and kwrite with
highlighting makes the source code much easier to
read. (back in '85 it was WordStar and two different
compilers to get the executable.)

Now the bad news... C, C++, gnu, several variations on
the ISO; not to mention all the libraries, etc.  And,
to top it off, some of the stuff in the book just
doesn't work.  (A program to demonstrate the various
types of integer variables and how to display them
with printf(), failed to show any difference with any
arguments I could find.)

What I'm looking for is any advice on where I can get
this info.  Preferably free docs and how-to's, since I
don't have the cash to buy any books. (Though, I could
try the library's inter-branch loan program. My branch
has no C books and nothing about computers less than
10 years old.)

All help will be appreciated.

Many Thanks
George