Re: Evolution crashed, won't restart

On 5/22/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My evolution mail client crashed (while connecting to Exchange) and now I
can't get any evo component to start.  If I start from the taskbar, the
spinning cursor shows for a minute, then dies.  If I start from the
command line ("evolution --component=mail") it reports "CalDAV Eplugin
starting up ...", then seems to hang forever.  It doesn't matter what
component I try to start.

If I ^C the command-line start, no evo process shows, but after the
timeout from the taskbar start, a process shows running "evolution
--component=mail".  No window ever opens, though.

Is there a lock file someplace that needs to be deleted?  Or something
else?  Is ./.gconfd/saved_state the key, and if so, how can it be safely
repaired?  Can I repair it without losing data?

Some suggestions that have worked in the past for me:

run "evolution --force-shutdown" to stop all evolution processes.

kill any other evolution like processes (ps -fewww | grep -i evo),
even the spamd ones.

run "evolution --offline" so that it doesn't connect to anything.

run "strace evolution" to see why it hangs.  this is an adventure in
and of itself...