Re: KMail + IMAP - help urgently sought

Anne Wilson wrote:

> I doubt it.  At least, unless he is actually viewing it on the server.  I'm
> not sure why it happened, but when I first set up imap I did see them like
> that on the server.  Perhaps it was something to do with the format
> conversion, though I can't explain it.  Later I did a fresh OS install and
> set it up again, copying the imap folders across.  Now the server display
> looks very much like the client box.
>
> This brings to mind the caveat that if this is indeed the case, he should
> generally work in the imap folder section and ignor the local section.

Yeah.  To underline the point for Timothy: IMAP is designed to fully
give you access to the mail ONLY over the IMAP connection (no NFS to the
server either).  You no longer need "Local folders" or maildir or mbox
or anything else directly.  Instead the IMAP clients can cache mails
that you have brought down over IMAP for offline use, but they do that
seamlessly once you set it up, rather like some browsers can show you
stuff from their local disc cache even if you are offline.  The big
advantage is that if you expose your IMAP port externally, you can log
into from anywhere on the Internet when you are travelling and there is
ALL your mail just as if you were at home.

> Come to think of it, he never said whether he is viewing on the server.  Maybe
> he has the one workstation and one laptop.  If that's so, it would be
> interesting to know if the laptop display also seems to show all the mail in
> the local inbox.

But he has had an "unhealthy" interest in the format used privately by
the IMAP server, it would be consistent if that was because he is indeed
either running the IMAP server on the same box or has dragged its
entrails over to his box via NFS.

It might also help explain why he won't try another IMAP client, he
still thinks it will be grief setting up maildirs and such.  Once you
discard the "Local folders" concept, it's a small matter which IMAP
client you use, the real business goes on at the IMAP server
irrespective of the client.  So you can use five clients before
breakfast (should any of them... have bugs... ;-) ) and it's not going
to break anything or need configuring over giving the mail client the
IMAP server info and credentials.

-Andy