Re: What Next (Totem hogging the plugins in Firefox)

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 14:18, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Art wrote:
> > Hi I'm trying to get totem to work but I can not get to play any DVD's.
> > I'v checked the boxes. No good.
>
> I sympathize.
>
> The only time I come across totem on my system
> is when I am told something does not work
> because of a problem with totem.
>
> How can one actually get rid of it?
> I don't think it is the choice in any of my File Associations.
> Is it built-in in some way to firefox?

Hi Timothy. I put mplayerplug-in, realplayer, flash plugin for Firefox to use
on my FC6 install. Everything was working ok until I did more updates. Then I
went to a site that I normally use, and something popped up saying Totem
doesn't know how to deal with this file.

Strange I thought! Looked in about:plugins in Firefox, and now there is a big
bunch of Totem plugins sitting there, with all the plugins I'd installed
after them. Ok..... I thought. Now a trip to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and lo
and behold, there are all these Totem plugins that arrived after the updates
out of the blue. That's easy I thought. Totem's not going to get the upper
hand on this, so I renamed the lot of them (10 in all. 5x.so's, and
5x.xpt's).

Restart Firefox, and no more Totem plugins. I'm in control again.

May be worth a look in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins Timothy.

Nigel.

btw: I renamed them adding .bak to their names, rather than just trashing
them. I mean if there is some use for Totem, it's easier to get them back if
you've just renamed them. Not that .bak is appropriate, but anything was
better than them taking control of my plugins in Firefox.