Re: KMail + IMAP - help urgently sought

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I'm running dovecot on my desktop,
and running kmail + IMAP on my laptops,
specifying the desktop as IMAP server
(the idea being to keep email on the laptops in sync).

This has always had problems with kmail hanging,
and now it has become completely unusable.

I think the problem is that /var/spool/mail/* on the desktop
has become too large.

Does one really have to keep email in mbox format in this directory
if running an IMAP server?
Is IMAP incompatible with maildir format?

Is anyone actually running a system like this?
If not, how do you keep email on different laptops in sync?

I used to share ~/Mail under NFS,
and that seemed to work reasonably well,
but I was told by my betters that I should use IMAP.

Honestly. I have never been able to get Kmail to play nice with IMAP, so I gave up and went to Thunderbird. I like KMails 'Outlook' style features, but stability was such a problem, I stopped trying. i use IMAP at my office and can get all my mail from either OS on my laptop, or my home computers without any trouble at all.

--
Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support