Re: Windows -> Linux

Les Mikesell wrote:
Don Russell wrote:
MS money is abot the only app I have left on a Windows machine that I could otherwise convert to Linux.

I found a FAQ that asks about "equivalent Linux programs", and this list was given as replacements for MS Money:

GnuCash, KMyMoney, jGnash, MoneyDance, Grisbi, PLCash, Crossover

Obviously I've not used any of these... does anybody have a recommendation?

Ideally, I'd like a web interface to it so I could access/update it from any PC in my home.

This discussion might be helpful.
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/export_from_ms_money Looks like someone has it running under wine.

Note that if you really need windows programs you can run the free VMware server with windows installed as a guest - and you can run the separate console viewer on other machines to have remote access.

Also, you don't need a web interface for remote access to linux applications. Command line programs can be run via ssh (or putty from windows) and X programs can be run remotely from anything else with X (the free Cygwin version works on windows, it's included with Mac OS X) or you can use VNC in various ways. The nicest way, though, is probably freenx on the fedora side and the free NX client you can download for most platforms from www.nomachine.com.

Thanks for the feedback.... yes, I forget about running remotely via X... the last time I had any luck with that was a few "Fedoras" ago, when I had FC on a laptop and on my server.... worked great... never got X working properly from my Windows machine, and just left it as one of those "one day I'll get to it" projects. :-)

So, Fedora 7 is probably a good time to switch over/try again. :-)