Re: recent upgrade caused me problems

| From: Eric <spamsink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| I have a fresh installation of FC6,

I should have mentioned that my installation of FC6 was from scratch,
not an upgrade.  Apparently an upgrade is the root of much evil.

| and decided what the hell, may as well try
| a global upgrade and see what happens

I have done updates fairly often over all the years of Fedora and many
of Red Hat Linux.  Mostly they have worked.  Only a very few problems.

| First of all, what is the "-t" switch to yum?  I know "-y" tells yum to answer
| "yes" to everything, but I can't find "-t" in the man page.  But, I digress...

I'm an old-school UNIX guy (using it regularly since 1975) and I
really miss the definitive man pages.

"yum --help" says:
  -t, --tolerant        be tolerant of errors

| Anyway, I tried a global yum upgrade of everything in my fresh FC6
| installation, and after several hours, it hung pretty much the same as yours
| did.

Unfortunately my hang and yours give very few clues about what went
wrong.  No (visible) panic message, no error messages.  So they could
be symptoms very different problems.

|  I rebooted, and cannot get the new kernel (2.6.20) to boot... gives me
| kernel errors.

That's sad.  What errors?

| My problem for the future, though, is I have absolutely NO idea how to revert
| to a previous installation and remove the effects of a failed "yum -yt
| upgrade".

We don't know what failed.  We do know that there was a crash in the
middle of a yum upgrade.  It would be really nice if yum treated the
system like a database with ACID properties: upgrades would always be
left in a consistent state.

/var/log/yum.log might be useful but who knows if it is complete when
the run is interrupted by a system crash.

| Otherwise, I don't dare upgrade or update much of anything, which for many
| reasons is not good policy...

As I said, I've had mostly good luck with updates.  I don't trust my
internet connection so I download the updates repo and use the local copy.