Re: Fedora and Qwest

On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:47:59 -0600
"David G. Miller" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The WAN
> address of the gateway should be transparent to him.  The gateway NATs
> the 192.168.0.0/24 or /16 addresses (depends on the router) to the WAN
> address.  What you want is the address of the router/gateway.

None of that information seems to be available.

I look after several computers with static IP addresses issued by four
different ISP's around this continent.  I even do contract work for one of those
ISP's.  Every time I ask for a static IP address, I always get this:

IP Address
Gateway
Subnet mask
DNS servers

I tell a router that I have a static IP address, enter those values into the
fields provided, and plug 'er in and let 'er rip.  I have never had to go any
further than that to get anything online with a static address before.

This time, though, it seems that many pieces of the puzzle are missing and I
can't get the thing online using the information that Qwest's technical support
people make available.

Which is what brings me here now.  Given that the only information that is
available for this connection is as follows:

Static IP 63.228.89.116 gateway 192.168.0.1, Sub net 255.255.255.255,NS
Primary Server 205.171.3.65---Secondary Server205.171.2.65

Does anyone have any idea for what values I would enter into a standard Dlink
router to get it online?  DHCP doesn't work -- even though they said that it
uses "standard DHCP requests", there is no response whatsoever when I send one.