Re: Order of 'wpa_supplicant' and 'network' boot-up scripts

David G. Miller wrote:
> "Ernst Beiglboeck " <ernst.beiglboeck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I want to configure wireless lan WITHOUT network-manager (it's a
>> machine that's always in the same network and I want networking to be
>> enabled at boot-time, not just only after log-in).
>> I use Fedora 7 test.
>> I've configured /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf to reflect my
>> SSID, passphrase etc and enabled the 'wpa_supplicant'-service in
>> system-config-services.
>> But when I monitor the boot-process, I see networking being started
>> before wpa_supplicant. It tries to get an IP-address and fails. About
>> ten scripts later wpa_supplicant is started.
>> After booting, no network is available. I have to manually commit a
>> '/sbin/service network restart', then it works.
>> Wouldn't it be necessary to start wpa_supplicant BEFORE networking?
>> How can I change the order of boot-up scripts? (If some developer
>> reads this, shouldn't you change the default behaviour?)
>> Kind regards,
>> Ernst from Austria
> You have two choices as to how to fix this problem:
>
> 1) The order of execution of startup scripts is determined by the script
> name.  Look in /etc/rc3.d.  The start script for network is S10network.
> The start script for wpa_supplicant is something like S88wpa_supplicant
> (my laptop is off at the moment so I don't have the exact filename
> handy).  You can try changing the name of the wpa_supplicant script to
> something like S09wpa_supplicant which will cause it to execute before
> the network startup script.  Also check in /etc/rc5.d if you boot to
> graphical.
>
> 2) Probably easiest is change the settings for your wireless card to not
> start on boot.  This will allow the system to start the loopback network
> interface but not attempt to start your wireless.  Edit the file
> /etc/rc.local and add "ifup eth0" (or wlan0 or whatever your wireless
> interface is).  rc.local is executed after all other initialization so
> wpa_supplicant should be running.
>
> Option #1 may not work.  It wouldn't surprise me if the wpa_supplicant
> startup script checks to see if networking has been started and only
> starts if networking is running.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Instead of renaming the symlinks yourself, it is better to use
chkconfig to remove the symlinks, edit the file in /etc/rc.d/init.d
according to the information found in
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version>/sysvinitfiles to change the
start/stop order, and then use chkconfig to turn it back on.

That way, your changes will survive using the services GUI. It may
survive updating the package as well. You should get ether an
.rpmsave or .rpmnew file so you can transfere your modifications.

But you need to understand what you are doing before you start
changing the start order, so reading sysvinitfiles and the control
file in /etc/rc.d/init.d is a good idea!

Mikkel