Re: RPM Repositories

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:33:53AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
   Dear friends,

I have to agree with Axel's comments. Most of the software you need is available in core/extras. There are some other items that are only on a specific repo so it would depend on the application you want to use/try.

As I am constantly looking for software, I like using Yumex as it allows me to search for application by keyword in a GUI. I have just changed from gnome to KDE and I have yet to really try kyum but it looks like it will do the same as yumex.

BTW if you want to search for software that may not be part of Fedora
and may even not be part of any Fedora 3rd party repo, e.g. only found
in Suse/Mandriva etc. there is an excellent service at rpm.pbone.net.

If you are lucky you will be pointed to the repo that has your desired
software, if you have less luck you get a pointer to a suse/mandriva
package that you can use to create your own package. And in the worst
case you will find no packaging at all, and then you should ask
yourself what kind of software that is. ;)

(either obsolete or proprietary)

I have rpm.pbone.net in my bookmarks. I have used it and found that some other distro rpm's will actually mount and work on FC, at least up to FC4. I have also tried older versions of packages on FC with some success when they have either been dropped or as you say become obsolete. Sometimes the old applications have a tool or feature that I just don't want to be without.

I am looking forward to FC7 but I am concerned about a few applications or features not working that I need. This is more important for my wifes computer as I get in a whole heap of trouble when her computer doesn't work with almost everything. :)

Most of the different packages that I am looking for is done at work. More related to science and technology research.

But we digress from the original thread.
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.