Re: USB flash drives won't mount

David Fletcher wrote:
> Using updated FC5 with KDE, my USB flash drive no longer mounts i.e. I used to
> get the little window appearing on the screen asking me what I wanted to do
> with this device I just plugged in, but no longer.
>
> Now, the LED on the flash drive flashes away for a couple of seconds, then
> stops, then nothing. I can plug the same drive into my son's computer which
> probably hasn't been updated for a couple of weeks and it "just works".
>
> I get a load of error messages when booting that were not there before, which
> are associated with this problem I'm guessing.
>
> I've pruned the last version of /var/log/messages down to the last reboot.
> It's now about 50K in size. Does anybody know what's causing this problem, or
> shall I post the log file?
>
> Dave Fletcher

You may want to run, as root, "fdisk -l" and see if the flash drive
is detected. Depending on the partition type, and if the disk has a
label, it may be getting detected, but not auto-mounted. I have a CF
card that works that way:

Disk /dev/sda: 8 MB, 8028160 bytes
2 heads, 32 sectors/track, 245 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1         245        7824    4  FAT16 <32M

But another card in the same reader mounts no problem:

Disk /dev/sda: 15 MB, 15990784 bytes
4 heads, 32 sectors/track, 244 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 = 65536 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1         243       15536    1  FAT12

I suspect that if I ever get around to reformatting the 8 MB card as
a FAT12 card, it will mount properly also...

While this will not solve your problem, knowing if the system
detects it, and if so, how it sees the drive, should help point to
the problem. But if you are in a hurry to get it working, you may be
able to solve the problem giving the drive a "name". For an ext2/3
partition, e2label works. For a FAT partition, it is easy to do in
Windows, but I am not sure how to do it in Linux except on a new
partition. (mkdosfs -n option.)

Mikkel