Re: gaming notebook recommendations?

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Jim van Wel writes:

about this, but don't know where anymore. But if you want a good laptop,
with a good video card, stick with Nvidia. It's really good supported with
the
proprietary driver.

… today. What's going to happen tomorrow, is anyone's guess. In case you're not aware of it, Nvidia's current binary blob does not support some of their older hardware. Whenever Nvidia decides that you should buy their new hardware, they'll just stop supporting your model. They have done it before, they'll do it again. Then, the next time there is a significantly-enough kernel ABI chance that their shim stub can't deal with, you're boned.

When that happens, and you (not you specifically, just saying this in general) come shedding tears, it won't be easy for me to feel any sympathy for you.

Personally, I'm really pleased with my Alienware Aurora box. I use it mostly for games, but I do have FC6 on it and it runs really well. I don't do 3D accel in Fedora, since I don't really need it for that, so I'm just fine with the OSS nvidia drivers. Granted I bought the Aurora just before Dell bought Alienware, so I can't say if anything has changed, and since I pretty much despise Dell, I doubt I'll buy another one.

--
Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator