Can grubby do what update-grub does?

[I had sent this once before, but apparently screwed up the address.]

I'm having to admin a Fedora box at work.  Right now it's FC5, soon to have
an FC6 companion.  I have very little experience with Fedora, as I prefer
Debian-based distros for servers.  So I know the 'upstream' programs very
well (e.g., grub, grub.conf, etc) but I'm unfamiliar with the Fedora
distro-specific tools used to manage them.

I've been browsing and searching the archives of this list, as well as some
general intartubes googling, but haven't found this question anywhere yet.

Debian's update-grub(8) has a feature which looks for special comments in
the menu.lst file, along the lines of

# groot=(hd0,1)
# kopt=root/dev/hda1 ro
# altoptions=(emergency single-user) S
# altoptions=(contrived example) mem=0x1000000

Running update-grub (say, after installing a kernel) would then generate
entries in menu.lst, composing the root/kernel/initrd lines, and creating
multiple entries for the various combinations of alternate boot options.

Lemma tell ya, as a sysadmin:  'altoptions' rocks.

I can't figure out how to do the same, using the basic setup of
/sbin/installkernel -> /sbin/new-kernel-pkg -> grubby.  If I duplicate the
generated default menu.lst entry by hand to make my own alternate boot
options, then subsequent 'yum update' runs only bring that one entry up to
date for the new kernel, and ignore the rest.

The grubby(8) man page doesn't mention anything about special comments,
or a grubby-specific config file where something like 'altoptions' can
be listed.  It's apparently all done by the command line... which I have
no control over, since it's being run by new-kernel-pkg.