Re: Installing ATI drivers

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 07:16 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Dotan Cohen writes:

> I installed ATI's proprietary drivers, but when I try to run the setup
> it complains that it cannot find the configuration file:

I waited to see if anyone would reply to your message.  Looks like nobody
did.

> What am I doing wrong?

That's a loaded question.  The most generic answer can be found in your
first sentence: "I installed ATI's proprietary drivers".

People "in the know" are unlikely help ATI to promote their non-free binary
blobs.  I don't use them, speaking personally.

How ironic that twelve hours after your message, Intel announced here a new
release of their free drivers, which will be merged into Mesa and Xorg, that
support their brand new video chipset.

Put another way, I have an older system with Rage Pro graphics.  It doesn't work well at all regardless
of the drivers.  That is why I never responded earlier.

My attempts to load the ATI drivers were frustrating, provided me with multiple drivers one time, and still
do not do what is required to make the system useful on graphics.

However, the Rage Pro chipset is OLD!  and I cannot comment on others.  But everyone here multiple
times recommended moving to Nvidia.  I have now moved my whole software package to a later
machine with nvidia and things are working quite well.  This video stuff is a moving target.  Primarily
because peoples expectations are driving bandwidth, resolution, color depth and contrast harder every year,
and some time in the (hopefully not too distant future) 3d graphical displays will push it even harder.

    We are all doomed to spend many hours every so often updating H/S Ware just to keep working, and
lead the world into a (hopefully) better graphical place.  For now Nvidia seems the choice for Linux.
YMMV.

Regards,
Les H