Re: Upgrading Red Hat 9 to Core 1--where's the software?

Ed Greshko wrote:
Dwight Johnson wrote:
I want to upgrade Red Hat 9 to Core's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 in a
step-by-step manner using yum as described on numerous user web pages,
but I am unable to find the Core 1 fedora rpm,
fedora-release-1-3.i386.rpm. Will I still be able to implement this
incremental upgrade plan for Red Hat 9 and find the necessary packages?

You will have *much* more problems trying to do what you are suggesting.  I
would suggest you simply do a fresh install of Core 6 after making a backup
the vital pieces.

Ed

I will second this.

I have tried the upgrade path and it was not a pleasant experience. It may go good if you do not have anything but a basic Fedora system but if you have any outside repositories, you will find it almost impossible.

You would have to not only do the initial upgrade but also the updates. It is all time and it would take a long time.

I would do as Ed says, do a clean install after making copies of your important data.

The reason is there have been many, many changes over the years and some of the upgrades do not go nicely. At least in my experience.

I would actually wait the few weeks for FC7 to come out instead of going to FC6. There are major changes again that could cause problems with the upgrade.

When I upgraded to FC6, I had headaches. I did a clean install a few weeks later to fix all the issues. I won't try it again.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.