Re: New Dell Inspiron 9400: From Vista to Fedora/Vista.

Les wrote:
Hi, Jim,
    I use LVM for my home disk.  I chose it intentionally because it
will allow me to modify and add space to the directory or even add disks
should that become desirable.  As my interests are AI, 3d graphics ,
photos and other graphics, space is the one really big driver for me.  I
am therefore quite curious why you don't recommend LVM for /home?

Regards,
Les H

I don't want my data stuck within a medium which is not easily accessible. With LVM, I had an older installation that was all within an LVM. I recovered information after some work from the LVM. It was a lot tougher than simply mounting the /home partition though. On the other hand, I don't care much if I loose the application and configuration data since most suggest wiping out everything system related and maintaining /home. I guess it is a personal choice whether to want to deal with LVM. I do label the LVM volumes uniquely instead of allowing the auto partitioning that the installer uses.

For the Vista volume. I believe the best setup would be for /dev/sda1 as a rescue partition, /dev/sda2 as the Vista restore partition, /dev/sda3 as the Vista OS partition and the rest of the volume as /dev/sda4 extended. Once that was setup, adding /dev/sda5 as a boot partition and then making /dev/sda6 as an LVM with all of the other swap and filesystam types within the LVM. Personally, I would still make a home partition as /dev/sda5 and then use the rest of the disk as /dev/sda6 within an LVM. LVM is great if you are comfortable managing the volumes. I still am not too familiar with Physical Volume and Logical volumes using lvm2.

Jim

--
"We all agree on the necessity of compromise.  We just can't agree on
when it's necessary to compromise."