Re: RPM and tarballs

At 10:39 AM -0500 5/8/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>In the long run, I feel it is worth the extra effort to build an RPM
>for the tarball package. It makes managing the packages on your
>system easier. That is what packaging systems were designed for in
>the first place.

ISTM that a tool could make a reasonable RPM from a tarball, as long as the
tarball doesn't have an install script, as all that is needed is the list
of files.  Checkinstall is more dynamic and dangerous than just looking at
the output of tar -t, in order to be able to handle install scripts.  Are
there tools to make RPMs from tarballs that I haven't found?

For that matter, RPM could install tarballs directly, if given an install
root.  RPM could even usually tell when a file conflict could be treated as
a config file and do the .rpmnew or .rpmsave thing.  Perhaps in the history
of RPM there is a reason this did not happen, or existed and was removed?