FC6/Dell Inspiron 8500: problem with eth0

The FC6 install recognizes my network controller correctly as a Broadcomm 4401, but I get this message when I try to activate it:

error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) Set failed on device eth0; No such device

I know that the hardware is functional, because it works when I boot to XP.

FC6 was on this computer previously. I reinstalled XP and FC6 after upgrading the HD from 40 to 100 GB.

Any help with my latest problem will be appreciated, as always.

Jim