Re: caching-nameserver -

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 16:45 -0400, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
> rndc dumpdb -cache  Produces a lot of data in
> /var/named/chroot/var/named/data/cache_dump.db.  It looks interesting
> and seems to be related to places I have been so I assume that it is
> either what is in the nameserver cache when the command was given or
> is it a history of what has been?

It's a history of what BIND has done (what it's cached).  Addresses its
resolved, and everything it had to do to resolve them.

> And then the notation "ttl" I assume is time to live for that record,
> is it expressed in seconds or some arbitrary unit peculiar to the
> computer?

I don't know, but TTL is done in seconds in DNS records, so I expect
this is the same.

> Where is the ttl value assigned, by the creator or is it a value
> determined in this computer?

The original DNS records have it as a parameter.  A proper host lets you
set these things, many just let you put A, CNAME and MX records into the
zone, and you're stuck with them setting other parameters.

If the record is accessed through another server, it may muck around
with them, and return different values (they shouldn't do that, but some
might).

> "Unassociated entries" Is it caching addresses that were received in
> numeric form?

Don't know off the top of my head.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.