Re: caching-nameserver -

Fennix wrote:

Bob,

Those lines I had added (found via google) to to enable logging for tracking what queries were hitting my DNS server along with the 3 log files in /etc/named/ to capture the data. The rest of my configuration I have left as the stock install. My only other change was to resolv.conf to insert the server directive to point to 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>. I also really had wanted to add Tim's configuration for blocking.conf but I seem to have missed some important detail in his instructions to do this successfully.
Ok, I figured those lines came from somewhere else. I may try just using what you have there and see if I can obtain some usable log files. As I said my questions really stemmed from an interest in understanding better what is happening.

I simply followed what Tim suggested in this mailing list and the result was excellent. I also use the "adblock" extension for Firefox and obtained addresses from it that were causing me grief and added those to the blocking.conf file, in fact I just added another a few days ago and the result is immediately apparent after doing "service named restart" I suspect it would be easy to miss that step, not sure if it was suggested or if it just occurred to me to try that?

Bob Goodwin