Re: How to access locked files on FC6 from FC2 on same machine

On Sunday 29 April 2007 19:27, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I'm usually running FC2, but also have FC5, and FC6 on this machine. I
> > have access to FC6's / directory from FC2, but some files,
> > /boot/grub/grub.conf have a darned big padlock on them, so I can't even
> > read them. I try to answer the odd question from the list, and just being
> > able to post a few lines from a file is usefull.
> > Is there some sort of workaround to get access to these padlocked files?
> > After all I'm not trying to write to them, just copy a few lines to
> > Kmails composer.
>
> Have you tried reading these files as root?
>
> --
> Regards
> विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

I'm not sure how to go about that. This is how I am set up. I have 5 Linux
distros on this machine I have also 2 FAT partitions that I can read and
write to, which I use for saving data to. These are accessable by means of a
desktop from all 5 linux distros. Directories have been made in /mnt for
them, and lines have been added to fstab so that are automounted at bootup.

Recently I installed FC6 on this machine, and thought I'd have a go at
accessing the FC6 partitions from FC2. Did a mkdir /mnt/hdb8 (which is the /
directory for FC6), and a mkdir /mnt/hdb9 (which is FC6's /home directory),
then edited fstab for mounting these 2 ext3 filesystems at bootup.

So far so good, and with a desktop icon for hdb8, and hdb9, I can open both of
these directories, and can read most of the contents. There are some files
that are locked though. A few it /etc, the initrd ones in /boot, and the ones
in /boot/grub. As I say. I don't want to write to these FC6 files from FC2,
just highlight a few lines on FC6's /boot/grub/grub.conf, and be able to
paste them into Kmails composer on FC2.

I'm a bit stuck on how to procede.

I don't know if this is possible, but any suggestions are welcome.

Nigel.