Re: SMART errors - are they for real? or, BIOS weirdness?

Thufir writes:

I'm getting SMART errors, but I'm not sure how much credence to give them. It seems to be the same two e-mails over and over.

It's all a matter of how much you value the data and your time.

If there's nothing on this disk that you particularly care about, and if it crashes and burns you won't get inconvenienced much, at least not beyond the time it'll take to replace the disk and reinstall everything, then you can ignore this and just ride it out until the hard drive blows out completely. It may take weeks, months, or years, before this hard drive will give out completely. You never know.

But, if you have some valuable data on this drive, and unexpected downtime is going to be a pain in the neck for you, then you should begin making organized plans now to migrate and copy your data off this drive, and onto a replacement disk, while you still have time.