Re: ->fc6: Pkg Installation - "may take several minutes" - 36 hours later!!

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 23:01 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Yes, next time do a clean install! Your system has too little memory
> > installed. You need at least 256 MB, preferably more.
>
> Which is a ridiculous state of affairs IMHO. What if the user only wants a
> light desktop system, or a headless server. For these things 128M should be
> fine. Not exactly nippy but would run OK.
>
> As things stand at the moment, the standard anaconda installer requires as
> much memory as a full gnome/kde desktop. Is it just me me thinks this is just
> a tad silly.
>
> There are many desktops out there that run fine with 128M, XFCe or fvwm for
> instance. XFCE is even part of extras. So an installer that requires more ram
> that the system it is installing.... go figure.
>
> Chris

It is silly but that is the way it is. It reminds me that I just saw
"Showstoppers", the book about the development of WinNT. An argument
arose between Bill Gates and David Carver (the developer). Gates said it
should run in 1M of ram ; Carver held out for 8M.
Now we have Vista that takes 1G. That's progress?
Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.