Re: ATA Host Bus Errors

On 4/22/07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
> I'm not about to list the dozens of posts and URLs which I've looked at
> in regards to this problem... I probably couldn't even remember them
> even if I tried. Cables have been checked and re-plugged in but I
> haven't changed them as the error occurs only on ATA2 and drives sdc and
> sdd run off different cables. I find it unlikely that the sda and sdb
> cables are ok but sdc and sdd are bad.

Right, you really have SATA drives and not PATA.

You've checked the cables, and replugged the cables.  But, have you swapped
the cables between drives?

Troubleshooting 101 says, make incremental changes (writing down what you've
done) to see if the problem moves.  Once you get the problem to move you
will find the bad item.

Like I said earlier....

If the problem always happens on ata2.00 then the problem is either port 0
on that SATA controller, the cable connecting the port to sdc, or the drive
itself.

The only way to narrow down the failing component is to make a change that
causes the failure to move.

Check the power cables, too!