Re: How to run script (sleep360) without delaying bootup

On Sunday 22 April 2007 23:50, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 4/22/07, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Not trying to start a flame war. Just curious why you don't ping your
> > > ISP. Wouldn't that do serve the same purpose that you are trying to
> > > achieve?
> >
> > I'm not bothered who I ping, as long as they dont't take offence at being
> > pinged. The whole objective is to get a response to a ping, that will
> > verify that the Internet connection is up.
> >
> > A positive response to the ping should then trigger the running
> > of /usr/local/bin/ntp-restart, which should result in all 6 timeservers
> > listed when running ntpq> pe.
>
> You may not aware of this incident which occurred over two years ago
> concerning NTP servers,
> http://lists.ntp.isc.org/pipermail/questions/2004-January/002141.html
> . So please bother your ISP. They're getting paid to take your ping.

I've already read about the problem with these routers. Here I'm talking about
perhaps 3 pings each day, just to confirm that an Internet connection is up,
and to then restart the ntp daemon. I have no problems like with these
routers. Once the ntp daemon has synched with the servers, it is polling just
once every 1024 seconds.

But thanks for the link anyway.

Nigel.