Re: weird removable media behavior

Michael Klinosky wrote:
Mikkel:
A couple of questions - are you unmounting the drive before
unplugging it?

No. I considered doing that, but then thought, 'USB is hot-pluggable, so that should be auto-magic.'

But, seems like it's not (hence the vestige device).

The problem with just removing a USB device is "time" to clear the cache. I have ran into an issue with FC4 and it removing the icon for the device before all the writes were complete. I trashed the file system. I reported it and there was a fix that showed a pop-up when the device was safe to be removed.

If your USB device has a light on it, try this test. Copy a large file to the device and watch the light to see how long before it starts the write and how long it takes for the write to complete.

Even Windows requires you to umnount USB drives so the cache can also be cleared.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.