Re: X-server reinstall

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
A little background on my earlier post:

Fedora is somewhat new to me, and it keeps changing all the time. It is
difficult keep track. Without the X-server, an ACPI message comes up,
screwing up my terminal.

( The cpu is an AMD Athlon, which doesn't have the device the
kernel seems to be looking for. And I think the problem came
after some FC6 updates )
Ever tried to do anything sensible when each second pair of characters
you enter, get broken up by error messages ? I simply didn't know
about the problem, as the Xserver did cover it up.

You really should look at your logs, or at least read the email from
logwatch...

"X" has been a problem over the years, especially with RH, as it
lacks the install option.  And this was the IMPORTANT subject I
wanted to pass on as an important feature that would make life
so much easier. I would like to post this request and suggestion
to the maintainers of the installation setup, but I am having
difficulties with even reading my email, so.. I wouldn't know
where to ship the note.

It lacks an install option? I could of sworn I had the option during
install to install/setup X. I wonder why it is working? Or are you
saying there should be an option to only install X when you run the
installer? If so, Why?
--------------------- Arthur Pemberton wrote:
That is no where near being called  a crash. That's called removing
your x server. You data and system are perfectly safe.

That is correct, but I have had some bad luck before, and I don't want
to end up in such disasters ever again. Fedora does base everything on the
graphical environment, and then it is even more IMPORTANT to have a user
friendly -reinstall X option.

yum groupinstall X

Personally I would like it to include options as to initial startup,
runlevels, etc. Not every platform have a workable X-server and other
circumstances. The problem now, is that it is impossible to keep track
of the many changes, the growing number of applications. Not every host
has a connection to the internet. So you do depend on the install CDs
and rescue disks.  If you should happen to work on some X-application,
or perform testing?  Well, imo this situation should be addressed, and
it would be beneficial for everybody.
You mean like the option of starting in the GUI mode in the standard
install? Or are you talking about the options in the expert mode
install? For adding packages later, there is the groupinstall
options of yum. If you don't have a connection to the Internet, then
Fedora is probably a bad choice for your distribution. There tent to
be too many updates because of the type of distribution it is. But
you can set up a local repository, (CDs/DVD's if necessary) or do a
local install from yum.

It would probably help if you learned the tools provided by the
distribution to do these things before complaining that there isn't
a way to do them.

Also, remember that different distributions tend to be targeted for
different groups. DO NOT expect every distribution to be right for
everyone. If you have a limited Internet connection, then you
probably should not be using Fedora. You will have a hard time
keeping up with the updates. Yum also works better with a fast
Internet connection. So while you can make Fedora work without an
Internet connection, it is going to take extra work. This should be
a factor in deciding on the distribution that is right for YOU.

It is more a matter of picking the correct tool for the job, rather
then picking a tool, and then trying to use it for a job it was not
designed to do.

Mikkel

As mentioned earlier the original posting had more opinions and the responders (myself included) elaborated on the other aspects more that emphasizing the solution.

To get X back:
yum groupinstall "X Window System"

To get a windows manager, (KDE, GNOME, ETC:) the below will give you gnome and its needed items again.
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

Additional replies:

The idea for the rescue media is to install the GUI and Desktop manager to the OS if missing or damaged. It would be a great option to add options to the rescue disk to install on demand certain items from the installation media at will. I believe since the intended environment for a lot of programs are GUI dependent, it makes sense to add a feature for these sort of user or application problems to be remedied. An Request For Enhancement through bugzilla.redhat.com was suggested to propose the idea to the developers.

Jim

--
Your motives for doing whatever good deed you may have in mind will be
misinterpreted by somebody.