Really, REALLY slow computer

So,
new job and a shiny new HP Duo Core computer with 2G RAM and twin 250G
ATA drives, loaded with Windows XP of course. The 1st thing I do is to
load FC6 on the 2nd of the disks. After 2 days (!) I have everything
loaded and updated but the system is running really, and I mean REALLY
slow. It takes about 15 mins to boot up and 5 to log in. Both processors
are heavily loaded but yet top shows nothing out of the ordinary, memory
usage is abot 15%.

During boot I get these two error messages:

Starting udev: Wait timeout. Will continue in the background. [FAILED]

and

Warning: Error inserting freq_table
(/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2944.fc6/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/freq_table.ko):
Required key not available.

The CPU frequency monitor applet show CPU0 to be running between 1.60
and 2.13GHz.

I checked through messages and these couple of things look suspicious:

ACPI: exception (acpi_processor-0677): AE_NOT_FOUND, Processor Device is
not present [10060707]

This message was repeated for the 2nd processor.

speedstep-centrino with X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI config is depreciated.
  Use X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ (acpi-cpufreq) instead

ata: 0x01F0 IDE port busy
ata: conflict with IDE 0.
ata: 0x0170 IDE port busy
ata: conflict with ide1
ata_piix: probe of 000:00:1f.2 failed with error -16

Does anyone have any insight of these messages or whwre to start looking
to fix this.

Thanks,
Steve