RE: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

This has been a quite amusing discussion.

My experience:

XP crashes very rarely, unless you f**k it up yourself.
At home I have 4 XP boxes, running basically 24/7/52.
I also have 3 linux-boxes running FC5, one of which I cant get running
(running XP is ok though).

The only time the XP-boxes are rebooted is at some major HW change or
update, you have to do that on Linux as well.
I have experienced BSOD a couple of times, when some HW failed, never any
other time, that happens with linux as well.

The rumour that XP is unreliable etc, is just a rumour.
I have never been infected with a viruus on my XP-boxes, however I have been
rooted once on my FC-boxes.
Obviously it was my own fault, forgot about an old phpBB installation on a
public webserver.

The so-called problem with Windows is, I think, that there are so much crap
software out there, that people install without any thoughts at all, plus
the fact that people use quite a lot of cracked sw, with no clue what's in
it.

Regarding FC5, I have been trying for quite a long time to get a lap-top
with a WiFi card to work, with no success what so ever, despite that the
maker of the WiFi card has made a prototype driver avaible for the linux
people.

Until that time that Linux installs as effortless as Windows, without any
tweaking, linux will be a nerd-os and nothing else.

I use XP because it gets the work done, with a minimum of work, I dont want
to spend days trying to figure out on how to read from a CD or weeks to
figure out why my network-card does not work.

I appreciate that it is free, and can accept that, due to the fact that it
is free, I have do some work to get it running.
But, I rather pay $200 or whatever it is for Win XP and be able to work from
day one, call the support if it doesn't work.

And my experience, well, started of with MS Xenix, later SCO Xenix once up
on a time, since then it has been Windows for workstations and RH/FC on
servers.

With best regards

Tomas Larsson
Sweden