Re: Curious kmail question

Chris G wrote:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 01:53:02PM +0100, Andy Green wrote:
Chris G wrote:

I guess I could export this as well -
but is there any other (simple) solution?
Yup.  Use IMAP instead of NFS.
Doesn't IMAP download the email to the local machine?

Not unless you specifically copy mail to local folders, no.  By
default all you IMAP mail (in folders if you have created them) is
kept on the server.
The clients pull the list of mails that exist, and can decide to cache mails that you have read, but should leave everything on the IMAP server.

Unless, as I said, you explicitly copy it.  In Thunderbird you can
have local folders as well as the folders on your IMAP server, mail
can be copied backwards and forwards to your heart's content.

Sure, not trying to correct you. Just giving a different way to understand the process of what an IMAP server can be expected to do for the OP, since I was replying for a different reason.

-Andy