Re: Restarting an Ethernet modem (ADSL) with software

At 2:07 PM -0400 4/12/07, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>| From: William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>| On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 15:22 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>| > This is a bit off topic for this forum (unless the modem is running
>Fedora).
>| >

>| Yea, it is OT, but, boy, would I like to read an answer.
>|
>| I have a cable service provider, rogers.com, that won't talk to you if
>| you have a router or use Linux.
>
>Rogers.com isn't ADSL, it is cable TV broadband (DOCSIS).
>
>Why do you (Paul) want to restart your ADSL modem?  Or you (William)
>want to restart your Rogers DOCSIS modem?
>
>I ask because this sounds like you have a solution in mind for some
>problem and I suspect that there might be a better solution.

My ADSL modem needs restarting, oh, every couple of months to re-establish
connectivity.  This has been the case for many years now, both when I used
DHCP and one ISP and now that I use PPPoE (done by my NAT router) with
Verizon, both cases with ADSL connectivity provided by Verizon.  The modem
lights always show proper connectivity.  The router often shows issues; in
the past, wrong IP addresses; now it may not be able to establish the PPPoE
connection.  My assumption is that Verizon has dropped the ATM VC, and the
power-cycle gets it re-established.

My ADSL modem is an old white Westell.  There exists a pay update that adds
PPPoE and web-based management, but I don't have it.  Its present
management tools require running without NAT or firewall of any kind, so I
have never used them.