Re: gmail blown up

On Thursday 12 April 2007, Rickey Moore wrote:
>On 4/12/07, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > What kind of problems?
>> > My gmail/evo works just fine. (... and much as evo works just fine...)
>>
>> The POP3 access seems to be down. At least it was for me last night.
>> Webmail worked fine though.
>
>There's a slew of disgruntled gmail users that got knocked out
>somehow.  I can now send, but not retrieve.  The crowd is getting
>pretty ugly about it in the gmail help topics forum. Of course, your's
>truly stirs the port occasionally.  I thought it was on my end,
>downgraded evolution, lost all of my mail folders and contents in the
>process, beat myself up for awhile, re-installed, all to no avail.
>THEN I thought to check gmail on the website and found all of the rest
>of the lost souls.
>
>We're huddled around the campfire built inside a busted TV, just like
>in "Terminator". Refugees from a very technological world that is a
>great place to live, until something basic like email blows up. At
>least it knows no discrimination with regards to race, creed or OS.
>Mac, Windows, Linux users of various types are all affected.  I find
>some measure of comfort in that. :) Ric
>
><no tag line either>

Yup, ugly ain't it.  I lost the main drive about midnight, and shortly before
that, vz decided my passwd was bogus.  I didn't get that fixed till about
10am when I finally convinced the vz 'tech support' (what an oxymoron that
is) twerps on the phone that I needed a new passwd reset.

In the meantime I'd done a dd from the main drive to an even bigger one,
shutdown and swapped the drives around, and that rebooted well enough I as
able to run fdisk (on a live drive) and without touching the the partitions
dd had transfered, added a last primary # 4 to represent the rest of the
disk, about another 40GB.  But fdisk couldn't resync at the end because it
was running live.  The next reboot took about 8 hours because /dev/hda3 was
suddenly trash.  By the time an e2fsck got done, I had to re-invent about
half of the kmail settings.  But I think I'm up and running, till that new
320GB Maxtor falls over for good, it already, in 11 hours of powerup, has
registered hundreds of millions of seek errors and corrected ECC errors are
right behind it countwise.  Lets just say I'm NOT impressed with this new
drive.

Its been an interesting 18 hours since about 9 last night when I saw the ECC
errors going up at about 20 a second on the main drive.  Sleep would be
nice...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)