Re: Alternative to using swap for hibernating

Do I have any other ways to get hibernation working?

What about using a swap file instead?

Unfortunately won't work, swsusp requires a real swap partition - It cannot use a swap file ( It would need to read the swap file, on say /, before / is mounted ... )

I have a machine with 1.25G of ram and *only* 1G of swap. Hibernate works fine most of the time - The trick is to make sure I don't have 1.25G of stuff in ram that needs saving. 99% of the time I don't so it works.

You problem is you are trying to hibernate with more stuff in ram than can fit on your 512M swap area. You solutions are I think

a) Close down some apps before hibernating, to get your memory footprint below 512M
b) add more swap space

Chris